Sunday, February 22, 2015

Teachable Moments for March


March is almost upon us!

One of my favorite times of the year. We are coming out of winter and heading into spring.

One teachable moment I would like to share doesn’t have to do with March at all, but was a great memory from when I was teaching middle school.

I had a sixth grade class of second language learners and I taught English, math, and social studies to them. We had been studying idioms and their origins in English class and Greek Mythology during social studies. I had bought a fan book which had each of the Greek gods and goddesses. I told the students that I would copy each page but I was going to have to cover some of the pictures because the Greeks wore little clothes and had “too much skin” showing.

Then a week or so later, I was trying to encourage students to read more and I was sharing how if you find an author you like, read other books from that author. I happened to have just bought an adult novel that Judy Blume had published. I showed the kids the book and shared how I loved her books as a child and I was interested in how she was as an adult author. One of the students asked me to pass it around so they could look at it. I told them I didn’t want to do that because she had some bad words in the text. And that is when one of students said, “The book has too much skin, Ms. Jackson.” I laughed and said, “Yes, it does.” I loved how this idiom was born in the classroom! As a teacher, you relish in the times the students make connections with the lessons that you teach them. It was a great moment!

Until next time, hope all is well with you and your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment