Thursday, October 2, 2014

Teacher Tip for Writing Time!


My first writing piece this year is a Response to Literature. My students and I read “The Bamba” from Gary Soto’s book Baseball in April. After reading and discussing the piece, we focused on the theme of the story. We have been covering theme in several pieces during reading this month.


My teaching tip is for writing time. I know you all have experienced the long line that begins to exist in your room when editing writing. Students in elementary (and middle school) struggle with seeing their own errors. So, early on in my teaching career I created the Five Error Rule. I will proof a student’s paper until I hit the fifth error. Then I send them to their seat to recopy what we corrected. When they have copied that portion, they can bring the paper up to me again to correct more until I find a fifth error. We repeat this process until their papers are written.
I have found this priceless! The students’ papers that have few errors are read quickly. But those students who have a lot errors are what take time. So by proofing only five errors at a time, keeps the line moving. I find I meet with a lot more students when I do the Five Error Rule. Finally, it teaches students, writing can take more than one draft. It is funny how kids think we all write everything perfect the first time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment