Wednesday, October 8, 2014

October Currently!


LISTENING: I have the song from La Bamba running through my head. After reading Gary Soto’s piece from Baseball in April, my students and I listened to the song. Most had not heard it before. And now, they want to hear it again and again. So, I have been using it during transitions.


LOVING: I have been in an extreme remodel for about 5 years. My husband is doing all the work and we took our modest 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house and made it into a 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom custom home. We had to build a retaining wall, remove and rebuild the roof, and live in a motor home in the front yard for 13 months with 3 teenagers. Not all bad, it has been worth it. And now, I get flooring! The travertine is almost done and then carpet. About 90% of the house will be done at that point.

THINKING: I have to make sure my assessments are done this month. My school has parent conferences and grades in November. The first grading period is the hardest. I need to get on it because the time goes fast!

WANTING: Beginning of school is so busy, but I need to start exercising again. So, I made a date with my daughter tomorrow to go to the gym. We are going commit to once a week and go from there.

NEEDING: My students have been doing reading activities where occasionally they have to write a play. Many like to make a puppet show. Well, last year they kept trying to create a stage. So although I teach 5th, I decided to get a puppet show stage. My husband agreed to make one for me cheaper and I can personalize it a bit. I am excited and I haven’t told the kids yet, they will be so surprised!


TREAT: I unfortunate don’t have any Halloween freebies yet, but I do have an Absent Folder freebie that I hope works for your classroom.

Thanks for visiting and Happy October!

7 comments:

  1. Linking up through "October Currently!" I teach Kindergarten and love that you are making a puppet stage for your fifth graders. I created one from a science display board by cutting a window in the large center part and adding a curtain. Can't wait to see what your husband creates for your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Farley's blog! Love the Absent Folder treat. I'm going to have to use that to keep my kiddos and myself organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that your husband can do the work for you! I love the tile; it's beautiful! Hope you house is done soon. I can't imagine living in a motorhome for that long. I wish my own daughter would exercise with me. Good for you! Carol's Teaching Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading a Gary Soto story with my students this week, "The Jacket." Do you show your students clips from the movie "La Bamba?"
    Brynn Allison
    Brynn Allison's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brynn,
      I didn't show clips from the movie. I did, however, give the kids a little history lesson on Richie Valens (of course, my knowledge pretty much came from the movie). Ha Ha!
      Thanks for stopping by to my blog.

      Delete
  5. Hello Karen! Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award! I am now following your fantastic blog. You can check out your nomination and read the instructions for how to accept here:

    http://lattesandlunchrooms.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/liebster-award-pass-it-on.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly! Thanks for the nomination - Check out what I posted!
    Thanks again,
    Karen

    http://applejacksteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete